Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oh Sweet Neti Pot!

(My neti pot lives on the shelf in our kitchen)




  Well, I've talked about poop and vomit on this blog, it's about time I write about snot!  I have recently really discovered the wonders of the Neti Pot!  I've had one sitting around our house for years and used it only on occasion, like when I had a nasty cold.  In the last 3 months my sinuses have been totally flared up.  I hear allergy season is particularly bad this year and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it--a lot of people seem to be complaining.

After a phone conversation with my brother, another pro-neti pot advocate, I decided to give it another honest try.  I researched online to find a recommended saline solution and kind of came up with my own little concoction.  What's the kicker???  Apple Cider Vinegar!


I have been flushing my sinuses 1-2 times per day, . . .WOW what  a difference.  Little Serafin now now comes in and says, "Mommy, are you getting rid of your snot??"  It makes me laugh.  Here's what I've been doing, . . .

********************



1)  Mix and grind up the following: 


    • 3/4 cups salt, non iodized, I used Black Diamond Koscher
    • 3 Tablespoons of Baking Soda


2)  Store in a sealed container.


3)  When you are ready to flush those sinuses, . . . .
          
          -Add 1/2 tsp of solution into tepid water.  

          -Stir so that salt dissolves.  

          -Add 10 drops of Apple Cider Vinegar (if you really want a zing, use 1/2 tsp of ACV,   
           it might sting a little, but your sinuses will thank you for it later.)

********************

What I've noticed, in my experience, if it hurts or stings, you are less likely to do it!  So play with the solution and find what works for you.  This recipe is a good place to start, but don't forget, we're all different and what clears my snot, might not clear yours!  Don't give up though, once you are "clear" it will be worth it in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment